Date and Ginger Slice



I got this recipe from a good family friend, Marlee. It's surprisingly the nicest tasting 'date-thing' I have ever tried. I've never really been a fan of dates (except for Sticky Date Pudding!), so it was good to find something that made me appreciate them more. Ginger, on the other hand, is an old friend. Every time I make this I add more ginger and one day I want to make it with candied ginger or even just a bit of grated fresh ginger, to give it more of a spicy kick. This slice is really, really easy to make and is ready in 25 minutes from start to end. Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 cup self raising flour (I use GF), sifted
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup of chopped dates
1 teaspoon ground ginger 
2 dessert spoons golden syrup 
1/2 cup brown sugar
125g unsalted butter (I've made it with salted and it's fine)

Method
Preheat oven to 180c

1. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, golden syrup and brown sugar and melt until bubbling gently.
2. Add melted items to the dry ingredients and stir in the dates
3. Press into a greased tin lined with baking paper and cook for  15-20 minutes or until golden
4. Score in the tin while still hot and allow to cool before serving. I think it's better if you keep it in the fridge. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images